The first recorded harnessing of Niagara Falls power was in 1759 by Daniel Joncairs. On the American side of the Falls he dug a small ditch and drew water to turn a wheel which powered a sawmill. In 1805 brothers Augustus and Peter Porter expanded on Joncairs idea. They bought the American Falls from New York State at public auction. Using Joncairs old site they built a gristmill and tannery which stayed in business for twenty years.

Click here to view the Canadian Niagara Power Company Fonds finding aid: https://dr.library.brocku.ca/bitstream/handle/10464/3029/Canadian%20Niagara%20Power%20Co%20%20RG%20170.pdf?

Recent Submissions

View more